23. You will find seaweed in toothpaste.
Carrageenan is the magical gelatinous extract from red algae, used in all types of products for its binding and stabilizing qualities. Many products contain carrageenan including pet foods, fizzy drinks, nut-based milk, processed foods, shampoo and desserts.
24. Seaweeds are different to plants because they do not have roots.
25. Seaweeds are generally anchored to the sea bottom or other solid structures by a holdfast.
26. Kelp, wakame and nori are great sources of iodine, which is an important component required for the production of our thyroid hormones. It is also important during the early days of pregnancy and the development of newborn babies and young children.
The iodine levels in fruits and vegetables are very low and this is due to poor soil, the use of fertiliser and bad farming practices.
27. All algae and plants need sunlight, which they convert to energy and food through photosynthesis.
28. Kelp is one of the most efficient seaweeds when it comes to storing carbon dioxide.